“O LORD, I love the habitation of thy house, and
the place where thy glory dwells”
(Psalms 26, 8)
Around 1900 electric light and
heating was installed.
2. to 7. August 1911: The 250th church anniversary was
celebrated as a big local celebration which was organised by the minister
Lothar Koch and local poet Arno Schlothauer.
church was given its fifth organ, a Jehmlich organ from Dresden
which cost nearly 20.000 Marks and was paid by entirely with donations.
archduke donated the stained glass window with a scene entitled
"Landgraf werde hart" from the legend "Der Schmied von Ruhla"
("Smith of Ruhla").
1934: Renewal of the rendering.
1938: Installation of pulpit figures and new electric lights, painting of
the inside walls.
23/24 September 1961: The 300th church anniversary is celebrated with
social evenings, services and a concert.
1983 to 1988: Extended restorations: The western wing is no longer needed
and is separated from the altar space and the southern wing by a glass
wall. The re-opening is celebrated at the beginning of a period of ten
days of festivities on May 8th, 1988.
Summer 1992: Installation of lamps at the steps of the church.
Spring 1994: Renewal of a part of the steps.
1995 to 1996: Renewal of the spire that was threatening to collapse. The
half timbered inside as well as the very top of the tower was completely
renewed and the roof was tiled.
(Lothar Köllner, historian: "Die Winkelkirche St Concordia of Ruhla and
1997: A crack in the middle bell was detected. The cost of a new bell was
estimated at about 30.000 Marks.
11 September 1998: The new bell, paid for entirely by donations (!), was cast in Lauchhammer (Lausitz).
9 November 1998: Arrival of the new bell in Ruhla.
November 1998: Consecration of the bell by the bishop of Thuringia
in presence of the minister-president of Thuringia, Dr. Bernhard Vogel.
June/July 1999: Outside renovating of the ministers house.
July 1999: Festive service as part of the Landestrachtenfest on
the Kurhausplatz in Ruhla. (08 July - 11 July 1999).
Summer 1999: The conversion of the Western Wing to a church hall,
including the renovation of the floor, the installation of a blow heating
system in both wings and sanitary installations, is completed. The opening
was celebrated on August 1st.
Summer 2000: Renovation of the roof of the Southern Wing.
21 January 2001: A service is broadcasted on the radiostation MDR-Kultur.
Winter 2001/2002: The restoration-works on the churches
insides (including a complete renewal and gilding of the font, all paid
for by donations), made necessary because of the renovation of the roof,
and the repair of the organ are finished.
Summer 2002: Partial renovation of the graveyard wall - to be continued.
Winter 2003: Renovation of the roof of the Western Wing.
Summer/Autumn 2004: Installation of electric light, painting of the walls
and the balconies in the western nave
2008 – 2010: Renovation of the Jehmlich-Organ from 1911
Further restoration work of the outer south and west wall of the church is
The back of the church!
Note: Thanks to Helene Pawlitzki for doing the english translation!